Monday, May 31, 2010

oil notes

It's been over a month now, but last night my husband and I looked up pictures of the gulf oil spill on the internet.  We do not watch TV (we don't even have one) and do not yet have a newspaper subscription.  We had seen a few front-page images and a little TV footage when going out for Thai food last week.  But last night was the first time we decided to take a deep breath and just look.  And,...sigh.

It's amazing to me that a handful of monkeys with oversized brains can do so much damage.  That we can have so much impact.  That we can be so shocked and outraged, and just as quickly forget.

My man and I are green monkeys living in a red state, an "energy" state.  Oil.  Gas.  We've seen it.  We've been there.  I've worked in it.  It turned our home upside down.  Mule deer disappeared.  A herd of antelope, dead, on the side of an access road.  Migration corridors, blocked.  Ozone warnings in a town of 2000 people.  Children told to play inside.  BP?  Shell?  A slap on the wrist.  That was Bush, this is Obama, I have to have faith that things will change.  The real question is, will we?



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you? I want to hear it!